February 6, 2015

Morton Subotnick - Butterfly #1


I love the concept of this record. Four pieces played on the Buchla Electric Music Box, each one a different butterfly. I don't think I love the execution though. It doesn't really sound like a butterfly to me. It sounds like a boring, sort of radiophonic drone. When I think of a butterfly I think of frantic motion! 

As with all of Subotnick's stuff, I try to imagine what it must have been like to hear it back when it was released. Probably a bit more exciting. And I don't say that to excuse how boring it is! Just to give some slight perspective, or ideas for a different perspective. I remember when I found a cassette tape of his Silver Apples of the Moon when I was in high school. I was pretty excited about it.  which reminds me, I've been meaning to post Wendy Carlos' review of Silver Apples from Electronic Music Review Magizine. It's a scathing review, but also somehow very nice and complimentary? Only Wendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment