November 9, 2014

Analog Days: A Short Book Review




I read this book quite a while ago, but I really enjoyed it and thought I should write a little bit about it here. If you you're an analog synthesizer enthusiast, you will probably enjoy Analog Days as much as I did. When I started reading it I sort of thought "Oh, this is going to be very similar to the Moog documentary". You know, that doc that came out in 2004. But it wasn't like that at all. The documentary was more about how everything felt back when it began and maybe a little story here or there. But this book is a narrative, a chronological non-fiction story from start to finish. Events including Bob Moog, Don Buchla,  Paul Beaver & Bernie Krause. The whole thing was just fascinating. 

My one criticism of the book, and it is a big one, is the author's ignorant comments about Wendy Carlos. Wendy's contribution to the development of electronic music is invaluable and she deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. Being one of the only women involved in the creation of electronic music instruments, Wendy's story is already interesting enough. That the author thought he needed to add to her story is downright distasteful and causes one to wonder what other historically inaccurate bits were added for dramatic effect. 





No comments:

Post a Comment