July 27, 2014

Echoes of Disneyland


Gosh, sorry it's been so quiet around here. I've been so busy with work lately. I must reassure you that this blog is not dead! I think it still has a lot of life in it yet. Anyway, on to this post!

Echoes of Dinseyland is a little record that was originally released in 1955. Back in those days there was an organ shop on Main Street in Disneyland that sold Wurlitzer organs. Dee Fisher used to perform in the shop, playing Disney themes on the Wurlitzer. This record is a live recording of one of those performances. I think it's just wonderful! It's one of those records I listen to when I get tired of all the other music that I'd normally listen to.... though, this is slowing starting to become my norm!

It's interesting because it was released in 1955, Disney didn't have a ton (or, at least, as much) material to work with. So there are a few classics on here: A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes, When You Wish Upon A Star, Someday My Prince Will Come, etc. But then there's some deeper cuts such as Bella Notte from Lady and the Tramp, Little April Shower from Bambi, and some stuff that I can't even place. 

It's a great record to listen to while walking around by yourself around dusk on a cool summer night.  Echos of Dinseyland is such an amazing title and perfect for this record. And if you let yourself think of it in this light, it sort of sounds like a bunch of Disney songs being played in a funeral parlor. I, personally, don't like to go there. This record is available on iTunes. I couldn't find any samples of it to play for you here, so instead here's an almost unrelated song that is currently my summer jam:





1 comment:

  1. I love to go back to Disney when I'm tired of all the other music I usually listen to, and even though I've never heard of this record (I'll try to find a way I can listen to it) I got to say I love love the classics.
    So i don't know but the idea of walking around listening to it and then stopping somewhere to look at you surroundings and draw a little thing sounds wonderful to me! :)

    ps. I hope you're having a magical summer even thought the work. I feel with records like this it must be easier ^^

    ReplyDelete