January 3, 2014

Music Out of the Moon

Before I get into it, I'll briefly acknowledge that this is my first post of 2014 and the fourth year Mild Slopes has been alive. Thanks so much for reading and sharing! Welcome to another year of electronic music, fantastic literature and spiritual searching. 



Music Out of the Moon: Music Unusual Featuring the Theremin - Themes by Harry Revel is a six song album from 1947. I really love this song in particular, Celestial Nocturne. It's interesting because within this one song the Theremin is played (by Dr. Samuel Hoffman) both Clara Rockmore Style - sounding more like a violin and then at other times it's played more Armen Ra style - like a human voice but in an almost impossibly high register, singing right along with the other voices. 

I should also say a few words about the album cover. It was one of the first albums to feature a full color cover and at the time the photo of actress Virginia Clark was considered pretty risqué. I've always hated the idea of throwing a scantily clad woman on an album cover to boost sales. But this photo doesn't really seem terribly sexual to me. Virginia actually looks sort of androgynous in my opinion. Perhaps the lack of sexuality was merely them testing the waters and being a little cautious. Who knows! The cover certainly doesn't offend me, but maybe it would have in 1947.

Another little interesting tidbit is that Neil Armstrong listened to a tape of Music Out of the Moon on the Apollo 11 Moon flight in 1969. 

No comments:

Post a Comment