November 14, 2013

I've always thought the Jupiter-6 was weird

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm sure some beautiful music has been made with the Jupiter-6, but just aesthetically, it doesn't really match anything Roland was doing at that time. Weird color scheme, weird buttons and knobs. And I played with one for the first time today and was pretty underwhelmed. The filter does that thing a Juno-106 does where you can hear it stepping through all those notches on the way down. And being made out of plastic instead of metal doesn't help either. I guess I've gotten pretty picky with equipment in my old age. Have any of you had a good experience with a Jupiter-6?

2 comments:

  1. velocityboy, I think I accidentally deleted your comment instead of publishing it. Anyway, he said:

    "overrated and yes, very ugly."

    I didn't want to come out and say it... but yes, kind of ugly, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I checked out a clip of a Jupiter-6, and liked what I heard. It has quite a range of accomplished sounds, from soft and ethereal to hard and gritty.

    ReplyDelete