October 3, 2013

The Last Unicorn


A couple nights ago I went to a screening of The Last Unicorn. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid and continues to be interesting and strange for me to this day. The film is "on tour" right now with the Author of the book and screenplay, Peter S. Beagle. Before the movie there was a question and answer session with Peter. There were a lot of people there who were way bigger fans than me (costumes and all), so I didn't ask any questions. Peter also wrote the screenplays for the animated Lord of the Rings movies that came out around the same time as The Last Unicorn and both were produced by Rankin / Bass who are most famous for their Christmas specials (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Twas the Night Before Christmas...)






It was really neat to be there with the author and feel sort of connected to the past. If you've never seen the move I highly suggest it. There's something really off about it, but that's what makes it special and different from Disney animated movies. You can watch the trailer bellow or if you'd like to catch it while it's on tour (for the next two years!) stay tuned to the website  www.lastunicorntour.com




2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good! I don't think I've seen that one before. Reminds me of other 70s/80s animated fantasy stories, like Flight of Dragons, and as you noted the animated LOTR movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen it (I believe it's never been on TV here but I should ask my sister first).

    Anyway it looks neat! Since the first time you talked about it I've known I love the art of this movie, it's wonderful! Mostly I love the night forest backrounds (which I'm already using as a reference).

    ReplyDelete