October 9, 2013

Roland 184 Four Voice Polyphonic Keyboard Controller


So, I bought a 184 CV keyboard controller. It came in the mail today and I am loving it! I have a modest synthesizers.com system with three VCO's that I'm controlling those with it. It sounds very.... synthesizer-y. It's hard to describe. I sometimes hear people say that true, analog polyphony sounds like a VHS tape. I think this is true, because you can get the oscillators to not be perfectly in tune with one another and it gives the pitch that sort of warble that one often hears on a VHS tape.

My plan is to build up my modular system to have a VCO, VCF, Envelope Generator and Amp for each of the four CV outputs of the 184. I'll keep you updated on the progress. It will probably be very slow moving!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great about having 4 voice polyphony! VHS warble... I expect some "retro" re-recordings of your newer stuff to match the older cassette-tape warble of things like "Moon Light" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im considering purchasing a dot com system, but do you think a 22 space unit is too limited? i can afford a 44 space unit,, but was going to use the rest of that to purchase some new synths (the elektron analog four looks nice).

    i think if I purchase a 22 i'll always want a 44, but let me know. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what do you plan on doing with it? I started with an 8 space rack, then quickly got another 8 space rack. But I had just those 16 spaces for about ten years. I think before very recently, I wouldn't have known what to do with so many modules. I think it's always good to start small and work your way up, especially with things that are so expensive. Within 16 spaces you can fit 3 VCOs, a Filter, 2 Amps, 2 Envelope generators, white noise, an 8 channel mixer, portamento, a multiple, and a midi to cv converter. You'd basically have a very powerful, modular minimoog.

    Do you have any music online to listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ended up ordering a 22 space dot com with both the state variable and ladder filters. I basically want a go-to synth for all my productions, and while I think it would be nice to do a white songbook or ministry of archers 1-synth approach, I find myself lusting over a wide sonic palate. I went ahead and ordered a analog four as well, so I think both of them will be exactly what I need.

    I have something up my sleeve for a future release :).

    ReplyDelete