February 23, 2013

Sesame Street and Electronic Music

I've been thinking (and dreaming) a lot lately about Sesame Street. I was obsessed with Sesame Street as a kid and then maybe outgrew it --but only for a very brief time. By the age of ten (when I decided to officially begin my career in puppetry) I was full blown back into it. 



 I just finished reading Caroll Spinney's The Wisdom of Big Bird (and the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch) and I'm currently reading Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street. The other day I came across a passage in Street Gang that caught my attention:


Here are a few examples of what they're talking about:






Now, I don't know if we're meant to take that passage literally --that Jim Henson owned his own personal Moog synthesizer. But it is not outside the realm of possibility. Enter Herb Deutsch (stage right)...


Herb served as Director of Marketing and Sales at Moog Music from 1979-83, and also as a marketing and development consultant to the Roland Corporation.

But Deutsch wasn't simply a Marketing Director for Moog, he helped invent the synthesizer as we know it today. He has been credited with the idea of using a keyboard interface with a synthesizer and he composed the first piece of music ever for the Moog synthesizer (Jazz Images - A Worksong and Blues).

So how does this all tie together? What is the proverbial glue used in the book-binding of this most intriguing of all historical, electronic music mysteries? 

Well, it is a little know fact that Herb Deutsch was also a marketing and development consultant to...  Jim Henson's Muppets.



[Grover with the ARP 2600]

So you see, it's all true. There was an electronic music conspiracy behind Sesame Street to brain wash the youth of the 1970's and 80's. I'll leave you with this one final piece of concrete, water tight evidence:


Case closed.


1 comment: