November 19, 2012

Tone Color


I feel the same way about musical tone color as I do about visible colors. They should be elegant and subtle. But sadly subtlety has gone out of style. 

I recently sent a new song I was working on to a friend and he commented on how closed the filter was on all the sounds I was making. I took that as the greatest of compliments!



Upon hearing most electronic music these days, I think "is the filter broken!", because it's always wide open! Not in use! I understand that people love those unfiltered, buzzing sawtooth waveforms, but what about moderation? Think of seeing a splash of bright color on a painting that is mostly muted. Think of hearing a bright sound against a backdrop of dark sounds. Variation is what's interesting!

Color and music are in an equally bad state these days. All of our old favorite movies have been remastered with their colors blown out and over saturated beyond belief... and music is no better. I could go on and on but I think I've got my point across. I'll try to lead by example.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mild Slopes! Do you have a place where we can listen to your music?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A short clip can be found here:

    http://cascadingslopes.bandcamp.com/

    Much more on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I'm excited to hear more.

      Delete
  4. Hey thanks! I just got Compass by Stelliform and have been listening non stop! Is that you? Really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, small world. That is me. Thanks for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the artwork too! I'm not usually into ambient or I guess just vocal-less music but you keep it quite interesting. Are you using any hardware instruments?

    I may just have to get that cassette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again!

      Yes, I use all hardware. For 'Compass' it was a Korg MS2000, but since then I have moved on to a Roland Juno 60. If you'd like to email me your address, I will happily send you a tape!

      Delete
  7. Oh, thanks very much! I'll do that!

    And wonderful that your using hardware. As you've probably already guessed, I'm very into hardware. Not so many people are these days.

    ReplyDelete