August 8, 2012

Vesta Kozo DIG-420



I just acquired one of these a few days ago. I'm pretty excited about it. I could care less about the delay section, but I think the sampler is pretty wonderful. You can only sample about one second of sound, but of course in the context of music one second could be quite a lot of time, especially for percussive sounds, and then you can always ad a bit of reverb afterwards to stretch it out. Anyway, the thing that really interests me about this is that it has CV and Gate inputs and that is the way the sample is controlled. It's the only sampler I know of that takes a digital sample and then allows you to control it with a voltage signal. This means that you can control it with your analog synthesizer or sequencer. It really opens up a whole world of possibilities if you have an analog synthesizer with an audio input; suddenly you're able to mix whatever (organic or otherwise) sampled sound you like with your voltage controlled oscillators before it hits the filter, envelope, etc. If you just wanted more oscillators you could sample your oscillator and feed it right back into your synthesizer, though with all the other interesting possibilities this seems pretty dull.


Update 8/10/12: Portamento from an analog synthesizer also effects the sample. I guess I should have expected that, but it was a nice little surprise.


7 comments:

  1. Kaza, not Kozo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a common misconception that it's Kaza rather than Kozo (even google seems to think Kaza is correct!). And perhaps I'm wrong, but in the logo the O's in Kozo are different characters than the A in Vesta, they still do sort of reseble A's. But the main evidence that convinced me was that page from the manual at the bottom of my post, if you click on it and read some of the normal text (plain helvetica) it clearly says Kozo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really cool. I'll have to look for one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very similar to the underrated Boss RSD-10, which allows one to play the sample or delay speed via an external audio signal. Bizarre and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, quite! In fact I was on the verge of getting a Boss RSD-10 before I found out about this. I just thought the CV input would probably be more reliable than the pitch input.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your DIG-420 running on 220V ?
    If so, would you take some pictures of the transformer wiring ?
    That would help me a lot.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is you DIG-420 running off 220V ?
    If so, would you take a picture of the transformer wiring ?
    Since it's impossible to get the schematics that would help me a lot.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete