July 31, 2012

Magnetic Research Centre 2201



Magnetic Research Centre 2201 is a piece of drama written by Roger Hembrough and David Lynch about 30 years ago (though some speculate it was closer to 1985). It tells the story of a man who works in a secret and dangerous research centre. He tries to retrieve his wedding ring which has fallen into a container – with rather dire results. His recovery requires a scary sounding “brain probe” and he sees and hears his life pass by during his operation.

Finally, the operation is a success and he returns triumphantly back to the land of the living.

I believe they used a Roland System 100m for most of this composition.
It's quite long, but interesting throughout.


5 comments:

  1. This is quite unrelated here, but I don't really think it's related to any post, though it is to Mild Slopes.

    So.. why have you removed the music that was on the right column?
    It's just that there was a song there that I really liked but could not find anywhere else. Now I don't even remember its name, but I know it was (on the list here) before "Of Traffic and the Ticking" by Northern Picture Library.

    I'm just a little sad about it, 'cause I liked to come here from time to time and put it playing on the backround.. sorry for the bothering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just thought it was a little tired but I didn't have time to make a new one. I believe these were all the tracks from that (though perhaps not in the right order):

    Led Er Est: Scissors
    Serge Bulot: Euryale
    Dance House Children: The Old Oak Tree
    Mothership: Love is Gone
    Northern Picture Library: Of Traffic and the Ticking

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou so much!
    It was "The Old Oak Tree".. I knew that when I saw its name again I could tell which one it was.

    Hope you'll make a new one, one of this days :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right - System 100M together with CR78 and RS-202 strings through Dimension D (SDD-320) and MXR Delay System II. Can't remember if the 100M modules were driven from my MC-8 and can't put my fingers on the old manuscripts at the moment to find out - probably.
    Delighted to find your interesting site (now bookmarked), and even more delighted that you found my music :)
    Let me know if I can help with any other info / photos etc.

    Roger Hembrough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger, so amazing to hear from you! I just sent you a message on facebook.

    ReplyDelete