June 6, 2012

Eventful Day

I didn't think I'd be in London at all this summer, which would have been a shame because there were two very interesting things going on that I really wanted to see. I did both of them today.


The first was a special exhibit at the science museum about electronic music called "Oramics to Electronica: Revealing Histories of Electronic Music". With the star of the show being Daphne Oram's ridiculous Ormics machine. I've never quite understood or enjoyed this sort of early electronic music. It was just noise really. No structure at all. Of course I went through as phase of being completely infatuated with Delia Derbyshire (who hasn't?), but Delia did have a bit of structure --certainly in the Dr. Who and Tomorrow People theme songs. I do appreciate everything those early pioneers did though, we certainly wouldn't be where we are today without them, or where I am in 1983 for that matter.





The second thing was a live stage show in a 360 degree theater of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in Kensington Gardens. It was thoroughly enjoyable. I wasn't blown away, but of course the senses dull a little with age. And it can be hard to truly enjoy such a thing without your loved ones. I had as much fun as one could have sitting by himself in a theater. It was a good, full day.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had quite the experience! I disagree about the Oramics machine though, I love the song played over the video clip when they're talking about it (video on that link/page).

    And I was pretty sure I heard some Doctor Who music in the beginning of a certain radio episode... :) I have a bunch of the Who soundtracks, mostly the older music. Lots of great stuff was made in the 60s and 70s. I love ambient, atmospheric textures. There are some more structured songs in there, though, like "Musak" (and the alternate "Muzak" with jazz piano) and the Chromophone Band.

    The 360° theatre is a cool idea, and looked like it was quite a performance. Here's to a good, full day *raises bottle of Mexican Coca-Cola*

    ReplyDelete
  2. what was the music like? in the play I mean. it looks real flashy. p.s. the best music is the theme song of the Narnia t.v series in my opinion (its the only bit I like about the t.v.series.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music in the play was kind of just so so. It seems much more dynamic and exciting in that video preview. And Yes, I love the music from the BBC Narnia tv series! I got a bunch of that music by Geoffrey Burgon on itunes, I guess it was a collection of a bunch of his scores. There were only seven Narnia songs and sadly some of my favorite musical moments weren't included. I actually really love that BBC Narnia series. I think the woman who played the White Witch was incredible. Her portrayal seems much closer to how she was written in the book than the way Tilda went with it in the recent films. Of course Tilda Swinton was amazing as well, just took more liberties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the start bit with the map! I really like the white witch character in the book, she has a deluded self confidence that is just majestic and beautiful but actually really terrible. But I don't know if anyone could ever match her beauty and majesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete