May 5, 2012

The Magician's Nephew Rings and Things


The Roland DC-30 is a wonderful delay & chorus unit. It's completely analog but if you're like me and don't want the responsibility of maintaining a tape delay this is perfect. It uses something known as a BBD or bucket-brigade device. And it works much the same way that you would imagine people passing along buckets of water. The stored analogue signal is moved along the line of capacitors, one step at each clock cycle.



I just read the legendary "Lefay Fragment" (a bit of a very early draft for the Magician's Nephew) from Past Watchful Dragons. I found it completely captivating, in fact one of the most charming things I've ever read. Perhaps I'm just desperate for more? I understand why Lewis didn't go in this direction, it wouldn't have been completely consistent with the other Narnia books (or rather, the established contrast between the Narnian world and our own). I also never doubted it's authenticity while reading it. Of course, I hadn't thought to think it at the time... even though I was aware that it was in question. It is actually very upsetting when it ends abruptly --just when you're really getting wrapped up in the story. I think I'll read it again soon.

Also, I'm working on a surprise for you. It's almost finished. I think it will be the most potent thing that's happened here yet.

2 comments:

  1. BBD -- sometimes I think you're just making up all of this. The walls of reality are crumbling down... down... down...

    Is the Roland Space Echo a tape based delay?

    Look forward to the goody. Anything like points in time? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the surprise!!

    ReplyDelete