March 2, 2012

Virginia Astley -- A Subtle Enchantress

Virginia is my current obsession. I don't know if it will last but it's been a long time since I've found an artist I've been so excited about. She embodies all the sobering feelings that I've been looking for in music lately. She's using synthesizers but not to grab your attention just to create the atmosphere she's seeking. Anyway, it's fun to have a body of work to explore again for the first time.

I'm going to go through her whole catalog and report back to you with my findings. I've already unearthed some lovely gems. I can't believe how forgotten she is, but I guess with today's flashy musical climate it's to be expected. I believe she was most appreciated in Japan. Bless her and bless Japan.


Thanks to Sean for exposing me to this ravishing beauty.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely song. I immediately went to Amazon & ebay to have a look for the CDs, but was disheartened to see how much that CD album costs (being an import & O.O.P. it seems). :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links! Let's hope for some reissues. Always a good thing to see good music more easily found & bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, apparently her catalog is in disarray. I think until things are properly re-issued the best we can do is scour the web for fragments...

    http://samemistakesmusic.blogspot.com/

    http://soundcloud.com/treetopcl

    ReplyDelete