February 8, 2012

Sequencing My Life

It's something I've struggled with my whole life. I guess, technically, I hate sequencing... in the traditional sense. I grew up with a Juno-6 and it's lovely arpeggiator, so why would I ever need to sequence anything? The only sequencers I had as a kid were the simple step sequencers of the Korg Poly-800 and EX-800. It didn't take long to reach their limits. Then I found the Roland MSQ-700. A beautiful box, with a button, switch, slider or knob for every function. Perhaps the worlds most intuitive digital/MIDI sequencer. I spent my late teenage years in a basement with that and a Juno-106.



Then in my early twenties, deciding I wasn't happy with the 106's digital oscillators, I moved on to completely analog systems, and with that; analog sequencers, and then eventually away from sequencers all together. For the longest time I thought that sequencing wasn't for me, wasn't in the cards. But there are so many different ways to go about it (I've even spent hours and hours programming Roland PMA-5's). In the end I realized what I needed, which was the most logical, natural thing for me.

The Roland CSQ sequencers. Those hooked up to an 808 is heaven. It's such a tangible way to work. Store the CV note data in the sequencers and control the gate signals (when to step from note to note I mean) from the 808. Suddenly the 808's wonderful programming style is applied to synthesizers as well! I don't think I could ever go back to anything else now that I've found my perfect method. Of course, this in my own world, in my own studio. In the real word I'm sure I'll still sequencing things one note at a time, or however I can get by. Annoying little dots on a grid.......

4 comments:

  1. I had trouble trying to use Anvil (computer freeware) to sequence my Rogue Moog, but really only because I couldn't get the MIDI-to-CV box set up properly. I tend to shelve things out of frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, i'm the same way sometimes. I either force myself to figure something out or I get rid of it. Software is thought though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the CSQ-100 a bad purchase?
    I want to keep thing very simple, and the CSQ-600 and 700 seem to be a lot more than what I want to have. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you must be a little confused as to what these machines actually do. The CSQ-100 is the most simple, basic cv/gate sequencer you could get, no frills at all.

    ReplyDelete