January 28, 2012

Ordinary People

Well, I'm on the other side of the world. And as promised, i've cooked up a little post, my first movie review on this blog. So, I watched this on my first flight out of New York a few days ago. Ordinary People was Robert Redford's directorial debut and it won three Oscars, but didn't do very well at the box office. I Really loved it. There are a lot of movies that are gratuitously sad and this is certainly one of those but it just wasn't as senseless as most seem. It's very tangible, in that way it reminded me a lot of one of my other favorite films; Runnin' On Empty. Both movies feature Judd Hursch. I should also like to mention the noteworthy performance by Marry Tyler-Moore, but the real stand out performance was Timothy Hutton who took the Oscar that year for best supporting Actor.


4 comments:

  1. Which one was Timothy Hutton? Was he the father?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway yeah, I remember thinking that movie was really good, it's really emotional but not disgustingly exploitative like most people these days. More films should be made like this.
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timothy Hutton was the son, But whoever it was that played the father was also top notch. Cassandra, couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know I said *people these days. It's strange Timothy Hutton won it for being a supporting actor, he's obviously the main character. bye
    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete