December 13, 2011

The Beginning



Welcome to my new blog. I don't know if anyone will find this interesting or not, but what will happen here is that I'll be posting things mostly about electronic instruments made by the Roland Corporation between the years 1977 and 1985 (approx.). I think there are right ways and wrong ways to go about making electronic music. I believe in simple, wholesome control voltage and gate signals. And, the very beginnings of MIDI don't offend me either, but everything that came after seemed lacking in the interface department. But I'll probably go off on tangents about other things too; Quaker Meetings, EPCOT Center, being in love. Things like that. If any of this interests you stick around and see what happens!


2 comments:

  1. Hello Jacob,

    Do you know about that 80's anime "the mysterious cities of gold"? Most of the soundtrack was made with synthesizers. I find this song really inspiring and I thought you'd like it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV8-3J8XVmQ

    Anyway your blog is fascinating.

    Thank you

    Joachim



    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joachim,

    Thanks for the kind words! I don't know a whole lot about 80's anime, other than the Christian kind I was allowed to watch when I was a kid. It was called Superbook, it was about these two kids and their pet robot who fell into the Bible and lived some of the stories. It's really cool! And I remember renting a VHS tape once when I was a kid called Unico about a baby unicorn that was pretty great. I think someday when I'm less busy I'll really get into all that old stuff. I've been told about Cities of Gold by a couple people now, so it's at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete